Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Where I meant to like the novel more than I did, and I'm sorry

Binti (Binti, #1)Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

[Some spoilers--veiled, but still spoilers.]

This book won awards, so I don't need to say that there are things to admire here. Of course there are.

Speaking for myself, not as a critic, I like the setting; I like the main character; I like the original world-building. But the plot is disappointing, and I didn't much enjoy it.

The story relies mostly on luck (two miraculous bits of luck) and very little on the actions of the main character. When she does act, it is only to present an argument and wait on the decision, like a court awaiting a jury's verdict; the resolution to the conflict is out of her hands, robbing the scene of most of its drama. It's like a game decided by coin-flip.

Binti comes from an interesting and complex society, and she has unique and exciting skills. So much is promised, and so many questions are raised, but there is very little payoff, and few questions answered. I hope I find the answers and excitement in the sequels.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment