Saturday, March 3, 2018

Agatha Christie Fools Me Again. Of Course.

Curtain (Hercule Poirot #42)Curtain by Agatha Christie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

She's clever, that Agatha Christie.

I never solve her mysteries, but I have to admit that everything needed to figure it out was right there. It's just that there are so many red herrings to test out that I somehow never get to the right one...

Some of her ideas and some of the opinions expressed by the characters are so last century--as they should be, I suppose--but some of it is so modern. Sometimes it seems her thoughts are constrained by old British norms about class and gender and nationality, and then it seems she's laughing at all of us and subverting every idea.

She has fooled me and surprised me far more than I expected, and more than other writers I love. So this little detour into cozy mysteries might have to become a bit more extended.

Cool.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment