Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Brief semi-positive review

In The Shadow of LightIn The Shadow of Light by Tracy Causley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

There are a few well done things in this novel that some readers will enjoy. I liked parts of it--moments of good action, some interesting characters, a setting I'm intrigued by. Overall, though, it's uneven, with long stretches of unconvincing, exposition-laden dialogue, and main characters who have almost nothing to do--a bit of travel, from Florence to the countryside and back, about covers it. The antagonists, who bring about a plague and have plans to destroy their enemies, have much more compelling arcs.

I don't want to build too strong an argument against the novel. I did enjoy some of it, and though it doesn't really work for me, others might find more to like. I hope that's the case.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment