Monday, February 12, 2024

Where Rosalind Has Too Many Choices

A Lady Compromised (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries, #4)A Lady Compromised by Darcie Wilde
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a good book in a very good series. I think I've given mostly 5s, and maybe I liked this one just a touch less, but I still enjoyed it and recommend it.

Rosalind, who's been hanging on the edges of society since her father, a forger, deserted the family, has a chance here to connect again with the young gentleman she was once engaged to. He's the new Duke of Casselmaine after the death of a brother, and despite the distance between them shows he still wants her before anyone else. Interfering in that plan are two things, not in order: 1, Rosalind isn't sure how she feels about the Bow Street Runner who she has also fallen for; and 2, there's a mysterious death, possibly murder, possibly suicide, that she is increasingly pressured into investigating, though it involves everyone in the duke's circle.

It's an interesting plot with nicely arranged revelations, though the sheer number of relevant people who are connected by engagements and family history makes it very hard to keep clear who has what motivation. (I sometimes have this concern with mysteries--maybe it's only my issue.) After awhile I give up on keeping straight which of the Vaughns or Mirabeaus was with which of the Corbyns and at what time and had the right motivation to do the thing--and instead just let the story go.

Anyway, there are a lot of characters to like and cheer for here, which I enjoy, and the story advances the overall arc of the series, which is how I like my stories to go, so this is a win. I don't know who I want Rosalind to end up with, but I do know I want her to continue investigating.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment