Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Where Sebastian Finds Danger in Paris

When Blood Lies (Sebastian St. Cyr, #17)When Blood Lies by C.S. Harris
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I love this whole series. I've given a few 4s (trying for scrupulous honesty) and all the rest 5s. Hardly any point breaking it down anymore--I like the books, they're all very well done, and I'm gonna keep reading them as long as the author can write them. And every time, I'm gonna repeat all the things I like:

•Plotting--always excellent
•Historical setting--well-researched and well-utilized
•Pace--it just doesn't get any better, IMO, speaking of the whole series
•Characters--the aspect that makes it *mwah* so good

The special draw of this particular novel is the setting, which is Paris for the first time. It makes perfect sense, and it makes the investigation new and intriguing. Sebastian is close to finding his mother, and that has been many books in the making. Plus, it takes place just as Napoleon is leaving Elba and marching to Paris and the Bourbons are scattering. Excellent moment for a mystery story!

I've almost caught up to the author. I'll be sorry when there aren't any more books on the horizon!

Highly recommended.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment