Thursday, July 5, 2018

Purchase, Enjoy, Demand a Sequel. Nicely, of Course.

Kingsway WestKingsway West by Greg Pak
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is an imagination-wide-open fantasy western, and I loved it. The weird West setting, with a Chinese empire and Mexican republic and Native city-states farther east, is stimulating and has nothing but room for any number of stories. The characters are also varied, giving the Old West a fresh look and feel, and the fantasy action multiplies that. It reads fast--I don't find that to be true of all comics and graphic novels--and I like that, but the brilliant art is worth lingering over. Or reading multiple times, of course. The only real flaw with the comic, IMO, is the lack of a sequel.

(I found this creator by accident, when he pledged to donate 100% of the purchase price to a couple of non-profits helping families separated by the current border policy. That made me look.)

I'm glad to be introduced to this artist, and will look for more of his work in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment