Sunday, July 8, 2018

Supernatural Elizabethan Spy Horror. Ish.

The Scar-Crow Men (Swords of Albion, #2)The Scar-Crow Men by Mark Chadbourn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a well-written fantasy novel that weaves history, literature, mythology, and invention into a dark Elizabethan spy story. This second in the series was an improvement on the first, IMO, and I liked the first one.

I imagine this filmed entirely at night. I'm sure there are scenes that take place in the daytime--I half-remember a few--but it is such a dark story, with so much shadow, so much darkness, so much that is hidden and only glimpsed, that it feels like it is must be night all the time. The action plays like a spy story, but the tone is dark, closer to horror in feel.

The darkness here works, though, setting a somber, threatening tone. I like it, the same way you can enjoy a heavy rain that keeps you indoors; but just as the rain eventually makes you long for a break in the clouds, I was wishing for a little light. A little more openness and honesty between characters. A little hope for better days. It would have been welcome. Maybe we got a tiny flash from Launceston recognizing friendship, and a bit from Henri of Navarre's good cheer, but those were fleeting. Some revelry or banter or friendly carrying-on wouldn't go amiss. Is nobody happy anywhere?

I quibble, though. The prose is tight, the plot is well-constructed, and the characters are nicely developed, even if their arcs progress slowly. That just means I have to look for the next book to see if Will catches a break or Nathaniel chills out or if anybody else settles down and raises flowers or something. Anyway, I hope there is another book...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment