Thursday, October 4, 2018

I make a case for humans reading this and other novels

The Tiger's Daughter (Their Bright Ascendency, #1)The Tiger's Daughter by K. Arsenault Rivera
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed a signed copy of this novel, and I'm glad both to have met the author and to have read her book. There's a lot to like here, for any lover of fantasy, and I'm happy to offer my recommendation.

I come to the book as a fan of East Asian-themed fantasies, and I like the setting she has created. This world has a sort of a continental Japanese empire (Hokkaro) that has confronted the steppe tribes and defeated them. The sort of China here (Xian) is smaller and also subdued by the empire. There are other nations that feel like corollaries for Persia and others. However, even though many things in this world are inspired by these real places and people, their history and customs are unique, and not meant to be taken too literally as this nation or that. That element of the author's world-building is complex and satisfying, demonstrating a sensitivity for the source cultures, and she has created a unique world that nevertheless resonates with those who have an affinity for the real-world inspirations.

The language here is beautiful throughout. Lovely prose, elegant language, with the character's voices coming through. The parts in 2nd person (as in a letter, reminding you what you did) I got hung up on, sometimes needing to read bits twice, and I can't even explain why it confused me at times, but it did. In all other ways, I thought the language was one of the high points of this novel.

More than anything, this is a character-driven novel, and the two main characters are wonderful. They are both extraordinary and impressive while still round, with genuine flaws and weaknesses. They are both sympathetic, which I am happy about--I've been disappointed by other highly-regarded books recently that had only unlikeable characters, even despicable characters, and feared I had gotten out of step with the genre. Here, both Shizuka and Shefali are realistic characters (well, you know, realistic for fantasy) who I cared about and rooted for and actually liked.

As a long-time English teacher, reading proponent, and straight dude, I believe the fact that they are sympathetic is key. A lot of electronic ink is spilled discussing whether or not boys and men can or will read books with female protagonists; and if they do, whether they can ever relate to those characters. Some angry dudes find it impossible. Beyond that, also much discussed, is whether straight readers can enjoy a story that focuses on gay characters. (I am not marking that as a spoiler--this is everywhere noted as a "queer romance," even if it isn't mentioned in the blurb.) Again, some angry voices say it doesn't work for those other audiences. Supporters say it should. From my perspective--of course it works! I like these characters, I enjoyed the story of their romance as well as the story of their duels and adventures, and I had no difficulty connecting with them. I am quite certain that does not make me exceptional--I believe it means the author has written a beautiful story about humans that other humans may very well like. This is why novels are written, and why they are read. And if finding Shizuka and Shefali sympathetic helps make some of us more sympathetic in real life toward others, I count that as one of the unintentional benefits of reading, and one of the reasons I have always been a proponent of novels, both in the classroom and IRL.

There is one area that, from my perspective, the author could have done more to draw me in, and I will readily admit that this is a personal preference. (Of course. This is a personal review. I speak for me only.) The arc of the story is basically biographical (even autobiographical) which means there are conflicts, many of them, but there isn't a single conflict driving the action. The novel is not about fighting for the throne like GoT, nor defeating Sauron like in LotR, nor even pulling one huge con like in Locke Lamora, nor any other unitary purpose, which I kept trying and failing to discern. Lots of conflicts; lots of movement; lots of action; just no single, main conflict. That is, except for the conflict centered on the relationship of the two characters, and how they must fight for their right to be happy. I think that was the author's intention all along, and it works in its own way, but it was not quite my expectation. I continued to look for something that was never going to be there--fighting the demons, maybe?--and I would have liked to find it.

Who was it that said that the story of anyone's life, boiled down to its essence, is a love story? That is the case here. It's fine--just not my most favorite. ;)

I still liked it, of course.

In sum--this is a well-written, thoughtful, enjoyable, touching, romantic fantasy novel. I recommend it for all humans.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment