Sunday, June 2, 2024

Where Arissa Gets Every Wish for a Minute

Saffron Dreams (Reflections of America)Saffron Dreams by Shaila M. Abdullah
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Maybe 3.5?

It took me ages to finish this, reading a little every few days. This isn't my usual fare, but I found it entertaining enough to keep going, if slowly. And there are things to admire.

I can't remember what connected me to this book originally; I think it was on a list of "read some of these books by South Asian authors" or something. And it is interesting. The main character comes from a wealthy family in Pakistan, but the family is not traditional. They aren't super religious, and they're kinda broken. Her mom has left and is only sometimes in her life. When she marries and moves to New York and gets pregnant, things look up, but then her husband dies on 9/11, and when her baby comes it has lots of special needs.

Told with in a back-and-forth way, with lots of revealing flashbacks, this is really the story of how Arissa longs for, obtains, and then loses an ideal life, eventually coming to terms with that. When, at the very end, her friend talks about how children complete their lives, she agrees reluctantly, adding, "Sometimes not in the way we imagined. Maybe it's wrong to see perfection as the key to bliss." I guess everybody goes through that reassessment.

Speaking as a white dude from Arizona, this novel has the added benefit of being told in the voice of a Pakistani immigrant woman, giving me access to the kind thoughts I wouldn't usually get to hear. It allows Arissa to become a unique voice in my head, differentiating her from generic South Asian Woman, whatever stereotype that has been for me. That education is probably the greatest benefit to me as a reader. Also, seeing her reaction as a both a Muslim and a victim of 9/11 was a useful corrective for many of the narratives emerging from that day.

The prose is fine--not too ornate, not an overabundance of figurative language--and I like the characters okay, especially her in-laws who come to take care of her after their son dies. But the plot is just "How will she get along now, raising a special needs son as a single mother in America?" It's pretty good. It's not my thing, usually. That's why 3 or 3.5 stars. I found it more interesting in a "hmmmm" kind of way than truly entertaining.

Still, it was worth reading for the other benefits, so I'm satisfied overall. Others may enjoy it much more than I did, and that's cool.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment