By the Pricking of My Thumbs by Agatha ChristieMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
Near the beginning of the book, I wasn't sure I was gonna like this at all. But it picked up a lot, and by the end I was very entertained. Before the middle, I should say, and the rest of the way. 4 stars.
Agatha Christie is a little hit or miss for me. Some of her books are focused on the criminals and suspects--pretty much all unlikable people--barely giving us the detective, and those I don't enjoy. I really like to see the detective while he or she is doing something interesting, and when she writes that way, I like the book. This was an example of the latter. Tommy and Tuppence (my first book with them) seem like regular people, but once they get an idea that something isn't right, or when Tuppence does, they start investigating in earnest, discovering interesting and surprising things. We have strange country folk, horrible old child murders, a creepy house, suspicious people of all kinds, and a brilliant criminal mastermind evading detection who is somehow connected with the terrible murder story.
It works. It's both a puzzle, with sections that are basically a cozy mystery, mixed with chapters that are made up of genuine action and creepy danger. Tommy and Tuppence are so normal, and talk in an amusing way, making you think things will probably be just fine, while the clues--like the story of a baby behind a chimney--are chilling, making you doubt. Very clever.
Recommended.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment